Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Being our Best: Potential vs Achievment

We are all imbued with our own unique potential. Each individual can contribute to the world in their own special way. It is up to each of us to maximize our gifts for a life well lived.

Certainly my genetic code limits me; I'll never be as tall as Shaquille O'Neal or jump as high as LeBron James or swim as fast as Michael Phelps or match the brain power of Stephen Hawking. I can only be my best and you can only be your best.

We should evaluate ourselves, by comparing our current reality to our full potential. The difference is the progress yet to be made. Not only should we aspire to improve our health and fitness and live up to our physical potential, but we should also strive to improve ourselves along our entire spectrum of humanity. We should push ourselves to love more, care more, be more selfless, more disciplined, more honorable, more courageous, more committed, more reliable, more patient, more humble and more helpful.

To develop a great physique it is paramount to develop strength of character. The work of building a healthy, fit and beautiful body requires fortitude. I will be the first to admit that I act foolishly and immature at times, but I'm constantly striving to improve; to be more mature and more thoughtful, to hold myself to a standard that is in alignment with my deepest values and most tightly held beliefs.

Often times we find ourselves bogged down by the need to compare ourselves to others. This is utterly pointless. I can only be my best and you can only be your best. Real victory in life is living up to your potential. Comparing myself to someone else doesn't make me any better, it only wastes time. This past season I was named "Defenceman of the Year" in my hockey league. Sure, it's wonderful to be acknowledged by my peers, but I was more satisfied knowing that I played with maximum effort every game all season.

I love competition and I firmly believe the spirit of competition can push and motivate us to be our best. Whether we win or lose on the scoreboard is irrelevant. If I were to race Michael Phelps in a pool, the smart money would be on him, but if I pushed myself and swam my best race and set a new personal record I would feel successful and victorious. We should be constantly striving to smash through our previous bests. This is what transformation is all about, being our best and constantly improving.

Also, if you really think about your true potential, the person you could be if you dedicated your life to constantly improving yourself in all aspects of your humanity, think about how amazing you could be....

Think of how loving you could be,
Think of how caring you could be,

Think of how selfless you could be,

Think of how disciplined you could be,
Think of how honorable you could be,

Think of how courageous you could be,

Think of how committed you could be,

Think of how reliable you could be,

Think of how patient you could be,

Think of how humble you could be,
Think of how helpful you could be.


Think of what your best really is.

Take action and be your best. Live your life to the fullest. Align your thoughts, words, and actions with your core beliefs. Measure your success based on the difference between your potential and your reality.

Be all that you can be, for yourself and for others. Remember, you are a unique individual, nobody else on Earth has the potential to contribute to the world in the special way that you are capable.

Best,
Chris Krueger


This morning a very spiritual TSCer in NYC sent me this quote. I believe it's entirely fitting to conclude this article, "God's gift to us is who we are when we are born. Our Gift to God is who we are when we die."

Transform your body now and change your life forever. Get the TSC Heart of a Champion Program and Make it Happen! http://www.tscheartofachampionprogram.com/

1 comment:

destermann said...

I love the notion of measuring yourself against your potential, rather than against others. I have much deeper admiration for those that have made the most of their abilities. Too often we heap praise on those that have simply gotten lucky in the gene pool.

As you alluded, this phenomenon manifests itself in sports all the time. I will take the over-achieving 5'3" point guard, rather than the maddeningly lazy 7-footer every time.

People are fond of saying, "be yourself". Perhaps they should take up the phrase, "be your BEST self".